Richard Fahey: Classic dreams

Our columnist Richard Fahey eyes a first Classic this weekend and offers his unmissable verdict on the yard's other runners.


At 16/1, I thought Garswood was a really decent each-way bet, but even though that price has gone I wouldn't put anyone off having a bet on him on Saturday.

I first started to think of him as a possible runner five weeks ago, but it's really in the last three and a half weeks that it has all come together. He's just started to relax in his work and looks a lot more professional - I wasn't at all surprised to see him go and win the Free Handicap.

He worked on Monday and I was over the moon with him. He is starting to look like a really good horse.

We'll drop him in, and try to pick the others up from off the pace. Whether he is good enough I don't know and obviously the likes of Dawn Approach and Toronado are very useful. Maybe we're just playing for third. But I don't think we'll be disgraced.

A lot has been made of the stamina issue and we don't know if he will get the mile, but my feeling is certainly that it won't be a problem. I only ever ran him over five furlongs last season because I wanted to get him off the bridle and teach him something - I couldn't really believe it when he was beaten on his first two starts given the way he was working. Then the Cornwallis was just an after-thought really.

It was never the case that I saw him as a sprinter - it was more the unbelievable speed he seemed to show. The question is whether he can show that same speed at a mile and I hope he can.

I've a couple more later on the card at Newmarket. Jamesbo's Girl was an amazing filly last year, working her way up from sellers to Group-race company. She's gone up in the weights, but I think she can win off her mark. The question is whether it will be here, as some of the fillies have just been a little bit behind so far. The cold winter hit them harder. She's fit but others might be readier for this.

Unsinkable is a horse I really like and he's very tough. He goes up to a mile and a quarter here and I think it should bring about some improvement. If it does then I think he'll run a big race. He's very tough and I was very pleased with his last run at Lingfield.

Blades Boy is the first of two runners at Thirsk. I was a bit disappointed with his first run and to be honest I'm not convinced he's giving it his all. If he doesn't pull his finger out here, he might be looking at a trip to the vet's for an operation.

I was thrilled with Lord Aeryn's run the other day and I think he'll have a good season. The worry here is that we are coming back a bit quickly here but there's a decent bit of prize money on offer and he's got a nice-looking draw.

In the evening, we have a few at Doncaster although hopefully I will be too busy celebrating at Newmarket to make it there! Freddy Tylicki rides Bandolier in the two-year-olds' race and he should go well. He tries very hard and should improve for his first run. He's a sharp sort of horse but not the biggest.

Flyman runs in the conditions' race, but he's up against Ebn Arab who will be ridden by Paul [Hanagan] and I think they think a bit of that one. To be honest, he's not shown us a great deal at home this year and I'm not sure what will happen but in his defence he came alive on the track last season and has never been the flashiest worker. He's done well physically and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Flashman goes back up in trip after running a decent race over a mile and a half at Doncaster. He needs to find some more improvement this season, but he's an honest sort of horse who seems in good form.

On Sunday, I'll probably send Johannes to Newmarket. As a 10-year-old, it's frustrating that the handicapper isn't giving him much help and if you asked me whether I think he is capable of winning a handicap like that off a mark of 92 I'd have to say no. But stranger things have happened.

I'll need to look at Polski Max's race before I decide whether he goes to Hamilton. He's gone up 10lb for winning last time which has sort of forced my hand to look at better races and I'm not convinced that he wasn't a bit flattered by that win - nothing else ever managed to get in the race. But he's obviously improving.
thumbnail
Judul: Richard Fahey: Classic dreams
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Ditulis Oleh

Artikel Terkait Horse Racing :

 
Copyright © 2014. About - Sitemap - Contact - Privacy
horse race card